GSU RECCE COMPANY KENYA
The GSU Recce Company is a special forces unit within the dreaded paramilitary wing of the Kenya Police known as the General Service Unit (GSU). The headquarters of Recce Company are located in Ruiru. Because of the secretive nature of the GSU, the exact number of officers in the Recce company is unknown but they could be anywhere between 500 - 2000.
|Plain Clothes GSU Recce Squad in Action|
The GSU Recce Company is made up of elite soldiers who are are highly trained within Kenya and abroad in highly regarded military training facilities in countries such as United Kingdom, America and Israel. The Recce company is a specially trained unit of commandos which can be said to be in the same league as the British SAS, America's Delta Force, France's EPIGN and the Israel's Sayaret Matkal.
The main crucial function of GSU's Recce Unit is to provide support to the other field companies of the General Service Unit. Apart from reinforcing the other companies of the GSU, it is also sent to perform security operations that require the highest level of attention. This hardened battle force is also capable of being deployed in the event of war.
The GSU Recce Company has three key units. The first one is the Sky Marshal unit an undercover counter terrorist unit on board commercial flights to counter aircraft hijackings, the second one is the Crisis Response Team which is always on stand-by to swing into action when things threaten to get out of hand and the third unit is the Rendition Operation team mostly trained in Israel and America.
The General Service Unit Recce Company is armed and equipped with the best military equipment.
|A GSU Recce Commando|
- Bullet Proof Vest a protective covering worn around the torso to protect the wearer from bullets and shrapnel from explosions.
- Magazine Pouches attached to the bullet proof vests used for carrying additional magazines. Small pouches are for carrying pistol magazines while the bigger ones are for rifle magazines.
- M16 Rifle a 5.56 mm calibre ammunition rifle which can be both semi and full automatic commonly used in modern warfare.
- Thigh Pistol Holster used to carry an additional pistol. When an officer is wearing a bullet proof vest, it is impossible to employ hip holsters and so a holster is tied on the thigh.
- Sunglasses worn to prevent the public from knowing where an officer is looking. An officer's head could be facing forward thus creating the impression that he is looking in front but could be he is actually looking to his right or left. If members of the public cannot see an officers eyes, they may not be able to tell where his attention is directed or what he thinking which gives the office tactical advantage of hiding their intentions.
- Portable Police Radios fixed on the shoulder or chest which have earphones attached so that officers do not necessarily have to hold them in their hands while communicating.
- Bayonet a knife, sword or spike shaped weapon used as a spear to stab the enemy in close-quarter combat where an officer does not have to shoot. It is designed to fit in, on, over or underneath the muzzle of a rifle.
- Knee and Elbow Pads for offering protection and comfort to the knee and elbow respectively especially during combat situations.